Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Astrology Quilt Top Tutorial

I have been designing quilts (on the down low) for the past month or two and needed a bit of a break so I made a cute quilt that I'm calling my Astrology Quilt due to the great focal fabric that has zodiac motifs on it.  So I wanted to do up 12 blocks and use my new parallelogram die that goes with my Accuquilt Go Baby.  I had never done 'Y' seams before but you never know until you try, so off I went.  Here is a photo of the quilt. 

My design wall isn't secured very well so the photo isn't as nice as it could be.

I had no idea how to built this block because most of the tutorials I found around the internet used half square triangles to build the parallelograms.  I don't think I built my block in a traditional way but I really am happy with the accuracy of the stars when all the blocks came together.  I used my Accuquilt Go Baby parallelogram die, but here are some cutting directions if you don't have the die/cutter. 















So there you have the written tutorial of this particular design.  If by chance you prefer video I have made my first quilting video and here it is.



I'm linking up to the Needle and Thread Network to share ideas and checkout the talented Canadian fiber artists out there.

17 comments:

  1. Very nice. I love the blues. The quilt has such dimension! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great little quilt and a very nicely done tutorial (I will check out the video later) -- a tip you might find handy, spray starch the fabric and it will help avoid stretching those bias angles -- but your angles look really good regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, yeah that was my first go at those seams. I will totally try that next time, I can see what your saying.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty quilt Samm...I am coming back when I have more time to look closer at your tutoria...lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great block! The set-in-seams are a little intimidating, but your instructions are very clear.

    beaniekins84(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. I think you need to submit your work to magazines or publish a book. You have great design ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the written and video tutorial, Sam! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Michelle G...you have a good thing going there, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your confidence Margaret. I really appreciate that.

      Delete
  8. You had me with your colour choice. Thank you so much for your tutorial! You are a natural at explaining the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peg, colour is hard for me, so I'm happy you like the combo.

      Delete
  9. Oooh! Great quilt and great tutorial!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, it's nice to type out what I'm doing to help solidify the process and share ideas.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful quilt, great colours well placed. And so nice of you that you remembered to take pictures of the steps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always the hardest part, remembering the camera!

      Delete